After US bounty offer, take action against LeT chief, Pakistan told
India on Tuesday hoped the US announcement of $10 million bounty for 26/11 attack mastermind Hafiz Saeed will put pressure on the Pakistan government to take action against the founder of the Lashkar-e-Taiba.
"We hope it will put pressure on the Pakistan government to take action against him," Home Minister P Chidambaram told reporters in New Delhi when asked about the US' decision to target Saeed. "We continue to compile information against his activities," said Chidambaram, adding that India has given many dossiers to Pakistan pertaining to Saeed's anti-India activities.
The US Monday announced an award of up to $10 million for information leading to arrest and conviction of Saeed and $2 million for Hafiz Adbul Rahman Makki, under the Rewards for Justice programme, for information on the two terrorists.
Saeed, known in India for his virulent anti-India rhetoric and patronized by a section of the powerful military-dominated Pakistani establishment, has sharpened his tirade in recent months. India has been consistently pressing Pakistan to prosecute Saeed for his key role in the 26/11 terror carnage, but Pakistan has resorted to legal niceties, saying there is no evidence against him.
"US announcement of $10 million reward on Hafiz Saeed should prod Pakistan to take action against him," said Home Minister PChidambaram.
The home minister added that India can share information regarding the Laskhar-e-Taiba chief Hafiz Saeedwith the US.
Chidambaram also said that there is enough material to detain and interrogate Saeed, but Pakistan is not doing its duty. Pakistan can't go through the farce of a trial in Saeed's case.
Saeed dares US
Meanwhile, lashing out at the US for putting a bounty of USD 10 million on his head, a combative Hafiz Mohammad Saeed today said Washington was "frustrated" with him for his countrywide protests against the resumption of NATO supplies and drone strikes.
"We are not hiding in caves for bounties to be set on finding us. I think the US is frustrated because we are taking out countrywide protests against the resumption of NATO supplies and drone strikes," LeT founder Saeed was quoted as saying by Al-Jazeera news channel.
He added, "I believe either the US has very little knowledge and is basing its decisions on wrong information being provided by India or they are just frustrated". Saeed claimed the US move was prompted by the fact that he had been organising rallies against the reopening of NATO supply lines through Pakistan, which were closed after a cross-border attack that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers in November. Wendy Sherman, the US Undersecretary of State, said a USD 2 million bounty had been announced for Abul Rehman Makki, the brother-in-law of Saeed.
Meanwhile, Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik said he is yet to receive any official intimation from the US and noted that Saeed had been put under house arrest but was given bail by the Supreme Court. "We should have been taken into confidence as to what has happened," he said when asked about the US putting a reward on Saeed's head.
- Asian Tribune –